Saturday 17 July 2010

1958 Vic Damone: On The Street Where You Live

Isn't this where we came in? 'On The Street Where You Live' is a song from Lerner and Loewe's 'My Fair Lady' and on it Damone pulls every stop marked 'restraint' and bawls out the lyrics 'Here In My Heart' stylee in an over the top bellow that goes beyond excitement at being on the street where his loved one lives and borders on the psychotic. If he gets this worked up with "the overpowering feeling that any second you may suddenly appear" then lord alone what state he gets into when he does finally spot her. I bet he's forever changing his pants at any rate. Pants - a good word to sum up the charmless bombast of this histrionic throwback to an era I thought had been concreted over. The song is by no means a bad one, but Vic's performance just makes me want to stick my fingers in my ears.



No comments:

Post a Comment