Wednesday 14 July 2010

1958 Marvin Rainwater: Whole Lotta Woman

I always feel like I'm doing Marvin a disservice before I even start with this one; with a title like that, I imagine some AC/DC cum Led Zeppelin hybrid that shits electricity from arm thick cables with a volume loud enough to get the furniture moving around. Alas, it's not, but I can't blame him for not living up to my expectations; 'Whole Lotta Woman' is in fact a rockabilly tune with affinity enough to Elvis and the boys to allow it to blend in at the back fairly inconspicuously in the manner of a young looking thirty year old putting on a uniform and trying to pass himself off as a schoolboy.

But not that inconspicuously - you don't have to look too closely to see the cracks that reveal 'Whole Lotta Woman' to be the work of a chancer hanging on to the coat tails of rock and roll for grim death with a hope that the front facing facade of frantic energy and innuendo (to be fair, the "It takes a whole lotta loving just to keep my baby happy. Coz she's a whole lotta woman and she gotta have a whole lotta man" is about as mainstream risqué as it was possible to be in 1958) would be enough to disguise the
Eddie & The Hot Rods to Presley's Sex Pistols scratchy, guts free, weak tea too stop starty for its own good end result. But I'm afraid it doesn't. 'Whole Lotta Woman' may have punched its weight in 1958, but in modern parlance it's the portait in the attic made flesh.


No comments:

Post a Comment