Friday 19 March 2010

1954 Don Cornell: Hold My Hand

Another song from the movies, though this time I'm tempted to believe that 'Hold My Hand' got to number one under its own steam rather than on the back of 'Susan Slept Here' (no, me neither) which I don't think did a lot of business here in the UK. Saying that though, I YouTube'd it and found it a lot more palatable when accompanied by visuals of the ever lovely Debbie Reynolds flouncing around her apartment. Taken in isolation, it's your standard syrup and strings balladry cooked up in Tin Pan Alley and served up with a side order of oily smarm ("So this is the kingdom of heaven, so this is the sweet promised land") from Mr Cornell. * I could go into more detail but I'd just be repeating myself so suffice it to say it's as sturdily and functionally constructed as a prefab garage though unfortunately it generates the same levels of interest.

* Actually, it sounds remarkably similar to Garry Miles' recording of 'Look For A Star'. Or rather, 'Look For A Star' sounds remarkably similar to 'Hold My Hand', seeing as it came out four years later. That featured on a film soundtrack too, 'Circus Of Horrors' no less, though I digress.


No comments:

Post a Comment