Monday 17 May 2010

1956 Pat Boone: I'll Be Home

Usually the first and last word in clean cut, Boone generated his own mini industry in the mid fifties through recording sanitised versions of early r&b/rock & roll songs to re-sell back to a white, middle class audience left unnerved by the primal wildness and (let's be honest) racial origins of the originals. As a case in point, 'I'll Be Home' was originally recorded the previous year by black doo wop band The Flamingos. Exactly what they're coming home from is never made clear; "so long until I'll be home to start serving you" suggests something military but it shouldn't really matter - the sentiment is what's important and The Flamingos present it with an inappropriately jokey, frat boy aura that makes it sound akin to a novelty song.

For one man to take on a four piece harmony is no small task but Boone shows his intent by taking it at a much slower, lower pace that strangles any feelgood at birth. And by taking it in the opposite direction, Boone invests the song with an ill advised seriousness to the point that 'I'll Be Home' starts sounding more like a threat than a promise. And whilst it's true that Boone is an open goal for barbs that riff on a 'white bread soulless' criticism, I don't care much for the song no matter who is on performing duties. Boone's version is no less likeable to my ears than the original; songs with spoken word passages rarely do it for me and the ambiguity of 'I'll Be Home' means it does less than most. A lot less in fact.


No comments:

Post a Comment