Sunday 28 February 2010

1953 Eddie Fisher: I'm Walking Behind You

Eddie's second number one (the first artist to score two) and not a lot has changed. He's still the bridesmaid and not the bride only this time, not content with just loitering outside his ex's house he's become more pro-active in his stalker-ish activities: "Though you may forget me, you're still on my mind. Look over your shoulder, I'm walking behind". The slow impassioned vocal makes this quite the creepiest thing you're likely to hear at number one, and though Sally Sweetland's ghostly, 'Kate Bush as Cathy' backing vocal provides a striking point of interest, it only adds to the spookiness by inferring that it's the voice of his ex calling from beyond the grave after it all got too much for Eddie one night. Of course, this could all be the product of my tired mind (it's late as I type this), but to take it at face value then it's another interchangeable ballad of angst whose audience is someone other than me. It comes, it goes and leaves no discernable trace in its passing, none of which makes for a good number one no matter what the year.


No comments:

Post a Comment